Sunday, March 4, 2012

Pick a peck of paper piecing


     Back at the beginning of the month I won a challenge at The Corrosive Challenge Blog and was asked to be their Guest Designer for March.  Corrosive is a biweekly challenge so here is my first of two cards for them this month.  Their challenge this go around is "Paper piecing with a bonus challenge of using green".
     I haven't done a whole lot of paper piecing and trying to figure out what paper will work with the image can get a little dicey--at least for me.  :-)  I pulled out a Prima Jack and Jill paper pad to use for the clothing.  The image I used is "Sophie" from Mo's Digital Pencil.  For her dress and socks I used some solid blue paper since they both had patterns already drawn into the image.  The doll had the grid work on her dress so I chose the dotted green for her.  After that things got a little harder.  LOL  I needed to piece the doll's hand and both of Sophie's.  Tiny little pieces + bad eyes = HARD!  LOL   I managed to get all those pieces cut out and glued down and thought they needed a little shading so I pulled out the Prismas and added just a few shadows, otherwise the image is colored with Copics.
     I was a little worried about sticking to the green theme when it came to flowers, but I remembered I had bought the green roses at Michaels and I found that gorgeous sugared Prima while I was digging around.  Perfect match!  And LOOK DORCAS--BIG lace!  LOL
     So what do you think about that cool little butterfly?  Isn't it cute!  That idea comes from the uber talented Chelsea Le of Crafting Life's Pieces.  The butterfly stamp is part of one of those Michaels dollar bin stamp sets.  I stamped it twice on some acetate my wonderful friend Jan sent me.  Both were cut out (more tiny pieces + bad eyes) and one was covered with Glossy Accents and fine green glitter.  Once dried I turned it over and glued it to the card.  The other butterfly was bent and glued on top.  Add a bling trail and he's ready to go.  The glitter really adds a lot to him.
     So that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  :-)  AND that 's my card for the Corrosive challenge this go around.  Hope to see you in the entries!


I'd like to enter my card into the following challenges:

Paper Sundaes--green or good luck
Pile It On--spots and/or stripes
The Hybrid Chick Card Caravan--lucky, green, or photo inspiration
Di's Digi Designs--lace and pearls
Just Some Lines--girly girl
Fairy Tale--paper piecing
Polka Doodles--polka dots , stripes, or both
Whimsy Inspirations--paper piecing
Craft Your Passion--paper piecing

Supplies

  • Paper:  Prima Jack and Jill, Bazzill, Copic XPress-it Blending card
  • Stamp:  Mo's Digital Pencil "Sophie", Stampendous "Notes For a Friend", Studio G
  • Ink:  Copics, Prismacolor pencils and OMS
  • Tools:  Nestabilities Classic Ovals and Classic Scalloped Ovals Large
  • Miscellaneous:  Prima and Recollections flowers, Michaels pearls. lace from my stash, acetate from my buddy Jan, fine green glitter, Glossy Accents, Recollections bling

47 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow a guest designer how fabulous bet you are thrilled. Well deserved.
I love this card by the way , love the lace its fab
Hugs Elaine

I Don't Do Straight said...

Lovely card..... such a sweet image..... beautifully done :)

KimCreate said...

Tracy, It's no wonder that card blogs scoop you up to feature! You are a cardmaking goddess. This card is beautiful, my friend!
Kim

Nancy said...

Yay for another guest design spot! Love this card! Your paper piecing is fabulous! Gorgeous flowers and lace! Everything is wonderful! :o)

Mau xx said...

You so deserve your GDT position, and this card is gorgeous, love the colours and detail xxx

Debbie said...

Sophie is just GORGEOUS!!!!! Love the paper piecing

Hugs
Debbie

heidy said...

Oh wow Tracy,this is gorgeous!!
Congrats on you GDT!
Hugs Heidy

Kim Kelley said...

I think this is gorgeous! The color, the paper, the added embellies are just so perfect together! HUGS

Ros said...

Wow! So very sweet and your paper piecing is fabulous!

Marlies said...

A gorgeous card!! I love the LO and the papers and the cute stamp, great job on the paperpiecing!! I also love the flowers and the butterfly (good idea) and the beautiful lace! So I think you understand I love all the card!! hugs, Marlies

Unknown said...

You did a marvellous job paper piecing this sweet little image Tracy! It's no wonder that blogs are dying to have you as GD or DT member, you're just that good! Hugs, Ira x

Jennifer said...

This is just fabulous! Your intricate paper piecing is incredible! Love the lace and green flowers!

angelwhispers said...

My word you have done them proud with this beautiful creation a such beautiful design and the paper piecing looks so perfect especially with the divine butterfly! Chanelle xxx

Dorcas said...

LOL! So is the lace big or the card really small? I bet that sandwich bag is getting rather empty now, huh? Time to sort through the "unmentionables" drawer and snag some more. lol
Great card Tracy!

Ivonne said...

Hi Tracy. Gorgeous card. I love it! Hugs, Ivonne

Allisa said...

Your card is fantastic! Great job on the paper piecing and pulling all of the green embellishments together!

Jenn Borjeson said...

Beautiful card!!! Thanks so much for joining us at Just Some Lines! :)

Unknown said...

Awww, Tracy... this one just makes me want to reach out and hug someone! (((((hugs)))) wendy xx

Cheryl said...

Congrats & well deserved! Your card is so cute! I love all the paper piecing. You did a great job with the fussy cutting,.

Sarah said...

Tracy, your paper piecing is awesome! I love the colors and all the wonderful details. Cheers

Tina said...

oh my...elegant and lovely colors and details...so beautiful...thanks for sharing at just some lines

Tina
dt

Casper said...

Hiya there,

This is just so so gorgeous-Love it!

Congrats on your New GDT position.

Thank you for joining us at Fairy Tale Challenge.

Take Care
Big Hugs
Casper (GDT)
xxx

Unknown said...

Congrats on your GD spot. Well deserved my friend. That image is so sweet, I just love it.. You do have a knack of picking out fabulous image.

Hugs, Linda

Jenny said...

Oh, was für eine tolle >Karte. Das Motiv ist ja bezaubernd und deine Gestaltung ist toll.
Danke für deine Teilnahme bei Fairy tale Challenge. Liebe Grüße.

Wendy said...

Fab card Hun love the image thank you for joining us at whimsys stamps for our challenge this week paper piecing very pretty

Wendy DT WS

Audrey Pettit said...

What a fabulous card, Tracy! Such a sweet image and I adore your paper piecing. You absolutely rocked it. Love that acetate/glittered butterfly, too. :)

Dawn @ LilyPinkScraps said...

Many congrats on your GDT!! Such a gorgeous card with a lovely vintage feel to it. Your paper piecing is superb and I love that butterfly idea :)

Jasmine said...

She is so stinkin' cute, and the card is just gorgeous! Thanks so much for guest designing at the Corrosive Challenge.

Rebecca/Sydney's Sentiments said...

Tracy you did an amazing job. Your work is perfect.

Flowergirl said...

Arr! Gorgeous card, she is lovely x
Wendy x

KristyLee said...

Hi Tracy,
I really and truly love this card, your image is so sweet and adorable! I love all your embellies you have used... so pretty! You have done a really great on this card! LOVE it!!
Peace,
KristyLee

nnalorac said...

She is adorable as is you card. Carolxx

Geri said...

Oh, my golly! What a work of art!! You picked all the perfect papers, too. You've done such a nice job, no one would know, at a glance, all the work that went into it--it's just too perfect!! Love everything about it!!

Ani said...

Your card is gorgeous! I love all the details and the layout! Thanks so much for joining our Paper Piecing challenge at Whimsy Stamps and good luck! Ani

Grenouille Greetings said...

I feel a bit like a stalker, I have been visiting for such a long time! I have so enjoyed my journey through your blog. You are so versatile! Fabulous work. Inspiring! Hugs, Lesley

Sabrina aka Chaosküken said...

A really cute and lovely card!

Thank you for joining us at Fairy Tale Challenge.

Cheers
Sabrina

Kathy said...

This is gorgeous Tracy. Your rocked that paper piecing here, and made me laugh about the bad eyes. I find it hard with the bitty pieces, too. Fun butterfly accent! So glad you are guest designing with us at the Corrosive challenge this month!

Melissa S. said...

This is just beautiful. The paper pieceing is perfect and the lace and flowers are great. Thank you so much for joining us at Pile It On this week.

Wilma Z said...

Beautiful and great image. Love your card and every detail of it. Thanks for joining us at Di's Digis.

Daniele said...

what a delightful card, love the colours you have used and the flowers, so glad you joined us at Polka Doodles this week
hugs

Unknown said...

Hi
Love your card the colours you have used are great and the composition too.
Love
Shirley

Unknown said...

Hi
Love your card the colours you have used are great and the composition too.
Love
Shirley

Katie Butler said...

This card is really wonderful. I love the image. The colors and the flowers are perfect. Thanks for joining us at Craft Your Passion.

Jen Leeflang said...

This is adorable! Thanks for joining us on Just Some Lines "Girly Girl Challenge". I look forward to your entry for our next one, which by the way, is a really fun one!
luv'n huggz
Jen Leeflang
JSL DT

Nela said...

Hi, gorgeous card, lovely image & coloring!
Thanks for playing along with us at Fairytale Challenge!
Hugs Nela

Chris said...

I know how old eyes and paper piecing can be torture but you did a fabulous job. the whole card is wonderful, the adorable image (those Mo's are just too cute) and your gorgeous embellies.
I'm so glad I got to see your card. thanks for playing with us at Pile It On.

PokSa said...

Awesome! I love your card and your beautiful image. Fantastic work.
Thanks for joining us at the Fairy Tale Challenge.
xx Sandra