Monday, August 23, 2010

Isn't She Lovely


I have to laugh every time I think about reading Kirsty Vittetoe's blog post this morning about her three hour card. This card took over three DAYS! I knew what I wanted to do, but I just couldn't get it to pull together--until this morning. Huff! Now here I am down to the wire on submission time, but. . . it's done.
The photo is my beloved grandmother on the occasion of her tenth grade graduation. She's been gone seventeen years now and I still miss her. Living out in the country and being an only child, she was my playmate when I was a kid. Endless hours sitting on her front porch playing Scrabble, Rook, dominoes, and Monopoly. Letting me lick the beaters after she made a pound cake. If you've ever heard the expression "cathead" biscuit--by golly she could make 'em and they'd melt in your mouth. She wrote down the recipe for me, but I've never been able to get them to turn out like hers. Sigh.
For the card I printed off her photo and placed it in a chipboard frame that my sweet friend Silvia made for me because I am probably the last living human being on this earth who does not own a Bigshot. hee hee I covered the frame in silver embossing powder twice and stamped into it with a rubber stamp. I then used some Pitch Black Alcohol Ink over the EP to antique it. The pink and white flowers and leaves are from one of the awesome Digi stamp files I purchased recently from Fred She Said. The yellow roses are just spiral rolled paper strips.
Although this is in card form, I just night cut the other half off and use this in a heritage mini album. Haven't decided yet, but that's why I didn't add a sentiment. If I do the mini, I'll probably put her name or initials in the top corner.

Here are the challenges I'm entering this card in. Thought I try a couple more new ones out.
City Crafter Challenge Blog--"Isn't She Lovely"
Crafts and Me Challenges--petals and pearls
Fab 'n' Funky Challenges--flower power
Creatalicious Challenges--Vintage

Supplies
Paper: Recollections cardstock, white cardstock, American Crafts Dear Lizzy
Stamp: Stampabilities Ornate Textured Background, Fred She Said Paper Roses and Leaves Digital Stamp File
Inks+: Tattered Rose and Peeled Paint Distress Ink, Adirondack Butterscotch ink, Pearl Perfect Pearls, Brilliance Starlite Silver Dew Drop ink, Ranger Silver Superfine Detail Embossing Powder, Ranger Pitch Black Alcohol Ink
Tools: sewing machine
Miscellaneous: clear glass microbeads, seam binding, acrylic rhinestones, silver heart charm, Recollections adhesive pearls, silver sewing thread


I'm happy with how it turned out and I hope you like it too.
Thanks for visiting!

18 comments:

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

This is a wowzer Tracy! I love everything I see here, the layered paper flowers make me feel like I should get this die cut so I can make some of those, and the yellow roses too, love them! Not forgetting the lovely picture of your grandma, so sweet to hear you talked about her, I missed my grandma too! And, you are not alone, I don't have a bigshot as well! Last but not least, thanks for putting a link to my blog, so sweet of you!
After all the above, did I say how much I love this card of yours yet?

Ros said...

Wow! this is just beautiful ... I tried to click on it to enlarge and see your Grandmother ... but I couldn't get it ... Love your frae and flowers too ... so glad you joined us this week at CCCB

Kristina said...

I say make it a part of your album, it's just too beautiful not to. You always amaze me Tracy...stunning, just stunning!

Ros said...

Thanks Tracey she is so beautiful and that frame is amazing!

Robyn - injoystampin said...

My stars Tracy! This is simply gorgeous! Great technique on your frame, and your grandmother is absolutely lovely! Thank you so much for sharing. What a special card! Hugs, Robyn

~* steph :) *~ said...

woohoo, three challenges! my mind can't think like that these days...hehe. what a beautiful beautiful card, tracy! love the colors, the DP, the flowers are gorgeous! love the scattered halfback pearls and the cute charm. what an amazing keepsake. loved hearing the story of your grandmother. she was a special lady. thank you for sharing with us. have a wonderful day! *hugs* steph :)

Nancy said...

This card is absolutely incredible Tracy! Thank you for sharing about your Grandmother! Those are memories to be treasured...and scrapped!lol...for sure!...Nancy :o)

cnelson said...

This is beyond gorgeous!! LOOOOOOVE it!! Thank you for playing along at CCCB!

Unknown said...

WOW! This is so beautiful.. I just love that photo and your flowers are wonderful.. I also Love it!
Thanks for playing along with us at CCCB!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful story about your grandma Tracy, you're very fortunate to have these memorable thoughts of her. Beautiful card!

Saskia said...

Thanks for taking part at my polka dots give-away!! Good luck!

Saskia :)

Heather Rogers said...

Well, 3 days is kinda long, but it was well worth it. It is amazing. Your grandmother is so pretty and so are all the pretty details. :)

Ginny said...

GORGEOUS, thanks for joining us at FnF

Lou Sims said...

Stunning card - love all the layers and attention to detail. Many thanks for joining us at "Fab'n'Funky" challenges this week and we look forward to seeing you again real soon.

Lou
x

ps: I don't own a bigshot either !

crafty amy said...

Your grandmother sounds and looks like she was a really lovely lady and this card is gorgeous!
Thank you for joining us at crafts and me and good luck.

Hugs

Amy xx

Lori said...

What a beautiful card! Love the flowers and that pretty picture of your grandmother. Congrats on being a spotlight winner!

Deb Hickman said...

Wow,stunning card and what fabulous memories.Congrats on your Spotlight Award!!!!

Suzanne C said...

THis is just gorgeous! Well worth the 3 day percolating time! I too take awhile with my cards so I can relate.