Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Basket weave panel tutorial

     It's my turn again to do a tutorial for The Kraft Journal and as promised I'm going to show you how I made that basket weave panel for my Saturated Canary Dorothy card I posted last week.  I've used some Light Kraft Cover Weight cardstock and chipboad to create the panel.  You'll also need a ruler and  X-acto knife or some type of cutter and some distress ink.
      For the panel I made, I cut 1/4" strips from the cardstock.
     I also cut a panel of chipboard 1 1/2" wide by 5" long.  Using my glass cutting mat, I lined the strips up on the grid, adding strips for a total of 2" which I taped down with scotch tape.  This photo shows the first strip woven in already.
     Continue weaving in your strips until you have an extra one at each end totally 5 1/2".
     Try to butt the strips up against each other as closely as possible for a tight weave.
     You'll notice this phot looks different.  I had forgotten that I wanted to use some distress inks on the strips to get a multi-colored weave effect so I pulled the strips I'd already weaved out, inked them and started over.  You could do this with different colored cardstock pieces for a different look.
     Once I had the pieces weaved to the 5 1/2" length, I flipped the piece over (still taped down) and glued my chipboard piece to the back lining it up with the strips so that each side had one strip extra hanging off.
     Once the glue was dried I could remove the extra strips and trim the long ends down.
     I then added some double sided adhesive to the back side and began folding the strip ends over.
     Once everything was folded over and secured down the piece looked like this.
     Here's another look at the card I made with it.
     I wish more of the color variation was showing, but I'll know better next time.  Hope you'll give this a try.
     Happy crafting!

27 comments:

Sue said...

Thanks for sharing Tracy, it really is such an effective technique
Hugs Sue

Ivonne said...

Thanks for the tutorial Tracy. Hugs, Ivonne

Jane said...

OOh I like this - thanks for the tutorial Tracy, I think I may well give this a try.
Hugs
Jane

Where Colors Take Me said...

Hello Tracy, What a beautiful technique and card. Thank you so much for sharing. Have a great day! hugs from New York, Maria

Hanna said...

Wonderful technique and a great tutorial Tracy! :)
You make it look so easy. :)

Thanks for sharing!

hugs
Hanna

Sara H said...

This is gorgeous!!!! Thanks for the tuto =)

gayla said...

Tracy,

Wow, this is sooo cool, I just love your work. This technique will be a great challenge for me today for sure! blessings your way! Gayla

Jennifer Scull said...

just so cool! the little spots of color on some of the strips really makes it come to life.
I remember doing weaving in art class at school. it was one of my fave thing 'cause I can't draw a lick! grins! might just have to give this a try!

have a great day!

Maria Therese said...

This looks awesome!!

Dorcas said...

Wow Tracy that is WAY cool!!!

Anonymous said...

This is really good and your card looks lovely! Thankyou Tracy!
Love Pearl x

KimCreate said...

Great tutorial, Thanks!
Kim

Carla S. said...

Great tutorial, Tracy! I love how that basketweeave looks! Thanks for sharing the details!

Renee B. said...

Happy Birthday Girl!!! Thanks for the tutorial...have an awesome day!
Hugs,
Renee

Sharron aka Sharrahug said...

What a great tut, Tracy! Love that basket weaving. Looks great on your card.......even though just a bit is peeking out you still get the nice effect.
Love all the pics you shared too. One of these days we may even get a peek at 'you'....lol.
Thanks a bunch, sweetie pie!
Huggies ~
Sharron♥

Unknown said...

Such a magnificent and detailed tutorial Tracy and with such fine results, too! You're such a patient girl and superb teacher!! Adorable card again. Hugs, Ira
irascreacorner.blogspot.com

angelwhispers said...

y word this is a fab tutorial will have to have a little play at this! Love Chanelle xxx

Daniele said...

great tutorial Tracy, such a lovely effect
hugs

Sarah said...

Thank you SO, SO Much for sharing how you did this! I had wondered if it was just a patterned paper or something that you did by hand, and then I saw another page with this on it. I was just raking my brain to try and figure out how I could get this effect. So again Thank you SO much for sharing!!!

~Sarah

Alyce Kit and Clowder said...

Tracy I am pretty sure this is AMAZING! Great work...I love it! Now when you sell it by the strip can I please have a few....... heheheh ;)

Jennifer said...

This is absolutely fantastic! The special touch it gives your card is perfect! Beautiful colouring on this little lady and thank you for the great tutorial!

Unknown said...

Oh you are good my friend. Such a great tutorial. THANKS..

debby4000 said...

Love your gorgeous card, adorable image, fab tutorial too.
luv
Debby

Mau xx said...

Brilliant tutorial Tracy, reminds me of my working days in the Cheshire home teaching the patients to Weave wicker baskets...lol
Sweet memories :))
Thanks for sharing xxxx
Hugs Mau xx

Grenouille Greetings said...

Wow what a lot of work but what a great result! Super tutorial and super card! Hugs, Lesley

Stacy Morgan said...

FABO! Love the tutorial and its totally CUTE on the card with her. Beautiful job.

Unknown said...

Tracy what a Fabulous card and thank you for sharing your technique. Hugs Elaine